This week RecommendCare made the last 20 from over 200 applicants to take part in Seedcamp London 2013.
Over just a couple of days the intensive feedback from the SeedCamp team and their mentor network has pushed on our thinking in a big way, particularly around positioning, quality and sales.
It was a fantastic experience and I would recommend the accelerator route and SeedCamp in particular to anyone aspiring to build a capital efficient software technology business in mobile, internet or media.
We didn’t win, and that’s the right decision for both SeedCamp and RecommendCare. Our platform in software technology terms is relatively light, and SeedCamp would not have added enough value in health and social care.
Huge congratulations and the best of luck to the five winners GateMe, Maily, minubo, Planvine and Subscrib. Big thank you to SeedCamp for the opportunity to take part in their process, to learn more about our business and the world of tech accelerators.
2012 was hectic but rewarding. We renovated an old farmhouse and moved in. Navigated our toddler Rose through her first steps. Joined a bunch of close friends as they got married. I left Onzo then started a couple of new businesses.
I’m excited about 2013. Only snagging remains at our home and we’re expecting our third child in April. But I’d like to bring a bit more balance to my life. My business partner Grant believe there are at least six key components to health and happiness food, movement, family and friends, work, environment and Sex, drugs & rock and roll.
Through 2013 I’m going to focus on the following things:
- Food - More fruit and vegetables, less carbs and crisps. Drink 2L of water everyday. Shed 10kg. Graduate from kitchen porter to cook.
- Movement - Run at least 8km everyday or 40 mins exercise (via Strava). Stretch everyday. Maintain a better sleep routine.
- Family and friends - Help my wife and the new baby as much as I can. Read more to the kids. Talk more.
- Work - Focus on working with great people and execution. Build one company of substance.
- Environment - Finish renovating our home and enjoy it. Throw a house warming party for our family and friends.
- Sex, drugs & rock and roll - Read more fiction. Build a sculpture. Less drugs. (some other stuff too, but that’s a private list for my wife)
In 2012 I started work on another list. Trying to stop blaming, impressing, clinging, interrupting, whining, controlling, criticising, preaching, dwelling or fearing. A great steer from Jeff Haden via Inc.
It will be interesting to see how I get on. Fingers crossed. Here’s to a fantastic 2013!
Honoured to be included in the MDDI Global 40 Under 40 new kick ass class of medtech industry innovators “The medtech industry is facing profound changes. Healthcare reform has disrupted traditional reimbursement and care models. Technology is advancing at an ever-faster pace. Even patients aren’t patients anymore; they’re consumers. Now, more than ever, the industry needs new ideas and new blood. As retiring Baby Boomers vacate vital positions, it’s up to the new class of medtech innovators to step up and fill those roles.”